2013 is almost over or over already depending on when I finally decide to get off my lazy ass and write this list! It’s been an eventful year, a lot of happiness and a lot of heartbreak. I hope your 2014 are filled with new discoveries and adventure.Here’s a little recap of all of the things I enjoyed about 2013. Some new discoveries and some old favorites but all things I certainly couldn’t get enough of this year.
1) Large sweaters. I understand the craze, I really do. Trendy or comfy? Lazy or stylish? The world will never know the truth. That’s the best part. No matter what your day consists of, how tired you are after staying up all night studying for an exam or if you’re ready for a night out, a large sweater and some skinny jeans will make you look like you actually TRIED.
2) Grapefruit. Holy crap I’m obsessed with this deliciously magical fruit. I was on a healthy food diet this summer, notice how I said in the SUMMER well it’s over now. CURSE YOU MCDONALDS AND YOUR QUARTER POUNDERS. Anyways, while I was on this diet, it was a perfect snack . With only 120 calories and the rich sweet taste, how can you go wrong? It was excellent to cleanse your pallet between meals.
3) Pinkie nude coloured blushes. I’m absolutely obsessed with blushes. I mean I think I have a pretty impressive collection coming on if I do say so myself but I especially loved the neutral and natural coloured blushes this season. I’m talking tarte amazonian clay blush in “exposed”, Josie Maran argan color stick in “spice” and a recent favourite by lancome in “sheer amourose”. They give a nice flush of natural “blushing” colour.
4) Community. I’m talking the tv show people. It’s absolutely hilarious and it just made me so happy to watch it. It was especially a nice break during exam season. Brightened my weeks of studying enough to keep me going. Well, at least until a finished the series. I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE NEW EPISODES.
5) Lorde. I’m in love with her I think??? I tried buying tickets for her tour in America and I didn’t get any so my 2014 is pretty much ruined already?? Her album must be my favourite of 2013 which is a great honor because all of my favourite bands released new albums this year. I’m talking Arctic monkeys, Vampire weekend, Arcade fire etc.Her album topped them all. She’s 16 years old and write all of her songs! She’s accomplished more in her live than I ever will already and her talent is absolutely incredible.
6) Dry shampoo. I see a trend happening here of “how to hide the fact I’m completely lazy”.Dry shampoo is a good way to hide the look I go for during exams which is “I haven’t washed my hair in 3 days and tomorrow is going to be day 4”. Shout out to Batisse dry shampoo and Dove. They are also great for adding volume to limp lifeless hair.
7) Ezra Koenig. I’m not subtle about my love for Ezra at all. Lead singer of the band Vampire Weekend and overall hilarious guy evident from his twitter account (@arzE). They are nominated for a Grammy this year because their third album “Modern Vampires of the City” was such a well deserved success. Enough about the band though, HE IS JUST PERFECT??
8) “When God was a Rabbit” by Sarah Winman. As you may know, I’m a literature fanatic. I’ve read almost everything. Well, that’s a bit of an exaggeration. My favorite book this year has to be this one because it was absolutely refreshing. A good coming of age, loss of innocence novel which is right up my alley. A lot of love and loss but beautifully written. I aspire to write like this. I’d write a synopsis I don’t want to give anything away. Trust me, it’s worth the read. Special mention is “The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak.
9) Catching Fire. Holy s***!!! Never have I ever seen such an amazing book to movie adaptation. This is serious coming from me because I read the hunger games novel about a month after it initially came out and read the rest religiously as soon as they were released. Yes, I’ve been a fan since the start, not to sound pretentious. What I’m trying to say is, I wouldn’t be light with any criticism if I had any but I can honestly say, there was NOTHING wrong with the movie. Also, could you pick a better Finnick??? NO HE WAS SO PERFECT. Don’t get me started on this topic, I might not be able to stop.
10) Music Festivals. I had the pleasure of going to Osheaga in Montreal this summer and it was the best 3 days of my life. Not only was the music fantastic but the atmosphere and the city and everything was brilliant. You will definitely be seeing me at Osheaga or Lollapalooza this summer again.
That’s my list of memorable favourites during the 2013 year. Let me know what your favourites were or what you enjoyed! Can’t wait to see what the new year brings in store. Thanks for reading!